Gloucester County Presents 17th Annual Women’s Health Summit -“Choose A Healthy You”
(Sewell)—The Gloucester County Department of Health & Human Services, Division of Health is sponsoring the 17th Annual Women’s Health Summit, on Saturday Sept. 23 from 8 a.m. to noon. The Women’s Health Summit will be held at the Gloucester County Institute of Technology, 1360 Tanyard Road in Sewell.
“Each year this free event provides health awareness for woman of all ages and provides them with an opportunity to take some time to learn about new healthy and useful ideas that they can implement into their everyday lives.” Freeholder Director Robert M. Damminger said. “The Woman’s health Summit is a collection of fun and informative workshops designed to get woman thinking about their health and the health of their families. If you are looking to improve your heathy lifestyle or are striving to reduce stressors in your life, you will find the tools you need at this event.”
There will be free health screenings, over 50 exhibitor/provider tables, healthy snacks and door prizes available throughout the morning. The screenings include Blood Pressure Screenings, Cholesterol and Glucose Screenings, Chair Massage Therapy, Foot Screenings, and Chiropractic Screenings and many more.
2017 WOMEN’S HEALTH SUMMIT SCHEDULE
8 to 9 a.m. Registration & Screenings
9 to 9:45 a.m. Workshop Session 1
10 to 11 a.m. Door Prizes and Snacks in Cafeteria
11 to 11:45 a.m. Workshop Session 2
Session 1 9:00 am – 9:45am
1. Jazz In Motion – Jazz-In-Motion is a non-impact, dance based aerobics class that combines dancing, light weight training, mat conditioning and yoga style stretching; all choreographed to various music selections. The focus is on the overall body, emphasizing balance, core strength, cardio-conditioning and just plain fun fitness.
2. Medicare Updates – Learn about changes in Medicare. Review the Open Enrollment Process of Part D, and have a better understanding of preventive benefits. Receive information and resources regarding low income Medicare benefits and free Medicare Counseling.
3. Your Body, Nutrition and its Connection to Your Health! – Your food choices each day affect your health; how you feel today, tomorrow and in the future. Your diet can help you to reach and maintain a healthy weight, reduce your risk of chronic disease and promote your overall health. This presentation will cover the myths vs. facts on healthy eating, the health related impact of diet fads, common medical conditions and the impact diets have upon overall health.
4. Line Dancing – This line dancing class will keep you moving with exciting dance steps all while listening to the sounds of great music. Line dancing is both fun and a great form of exercise. Be well, stay well and dance, dance, dance!
5. Responsible Drug Disposal – Learn ways to properly dispose of your unwanted or expired medications without contaminating our water supply. Keep your family and your community save by understanding how to properly Account for, Secure, and Dispose of your medications.
6. Sleep Disorders – This workshop will provide participants with information on improving awareness of various sleep disorders and how they impact overall health. Also discussed will be the symptoms of sleep disorders, obtaining a diagnosis, and treatment options to help achieve a good nights sleep.
Session II 11:00 am – 11:45am
7. How to Start Couponing and Save Your Family Money – Couponing can be a great way to help your household save money. Learn where to find the coupons and the best sales, websites to guide you, navigating coupon policies and sale cycles, and most importantly…the power of having a stockpile!
8. “Healthfully Yours” Hawaiian Luau – Aloha! Swim on into The Arc Gloucester’s mini tropical getaway where “health and wellness” is a priority! Interact with new friends and families as we create Tropical Fruit Smoothies together. Move those hips to the hula and join us as we learn to do the limbo!
9. I’m a CAREGIVER- Now What? – Family Caregivers occupy an important role in our nations long term services and support system. This workshop will focus on resources available through the GC Division of Senior Services that support caregivers of aging family members over the age of 60; those of any age with Alzheimer’s disease and related disorders; and grandparents over the age of 55 that are raising grandchildren.
10. Tai Chi – This class includes agile steps and exercises that may improve mobility, breathing and relaxation. The movements are slow and uninterrupted and are designed to provide a continual challenge by reversing the direction of the movements. Tai Chi can provide gained balance, strength, and flexibility.
11. Make It, Take It – Fall Decoration – Create a fall wreath made from colored coffee filters that can be hung on your door, or anywhere in the home to bring the beauty of fall indoors.
12. Dealing and Feeling: Stress Management From a Mind Body Perspective – This presentation provided by Inspira Health Network, will explore how our minds and bodies react to stress. Then participants will be lead through various stress management exercises that
13. Soup Du Jour – Chef Marya Oberfrank will teach you the basics of making homemade soup. See how easy it is to make a nutritious and healthy batch of soup. No fancy tools needed, just a knife, cutting board and pot.
The Women’s Health Summit is presented by the Gloucester County Board of Chosen Freeholders and the Gloucester County Department of Health & Human Services – Division of Health. Gloucester County works with the following collaborating members to present the Women’s Health Summit: Inspira, Kennedy Health System, YMCA, The Arc of Gloucester County, Gloucester County Commission for Women and FamCare. If you would like to register for any of the programs above, or need more information please contact us at: (856) 218-4101